- This event has passed.
Webinar // National building crisis and regulatory compliance
March 3 @ 11:00 am - 12:00 pmFree
Would You Live In This House? A “drains-up” debate on the Cladding Conundrum
Join Swiss Re Corporate Solutions for their first webinar of 2020, which will focus on the national building crisis and regulatory compliance, who’s liable for the defects and the implications for project or building owners, surveyors, architects, fire engineers and many other construction industry certifiers.
A recent analysis by Victoria’s Deakin University of 212 building audits in three states found that more than half of multi-storey buildings had at least one defect: 97% in New South Wales, 74% in Victoria and 71% in Queensland.
The first of which being the 21-storey Lacrosse Tower in central Melbourne in 2014 which has now progressed to a cladding crisis down under. The cost of fixing the unfolding national building crisis could soar past $6.2 billion, according to a new economic analysis and the construction union has reported that more than 3,400 residential unit blocks across the country have potentially flammable exterior cladding. Pressure is mounting on the government to provide more support and funding confronted with buildings that could need flammable cladding ripped off and replaced.
The session will cover:
• Legislative framework – Conflicting Interest and Consumer Protection issues;
• The Liability framework – who is responsible and paying for the remediation? Insurance is not the only solution;
• How modern workforces challenge historical norms on what the workplace is;
• Response: by Government, industry, regulators and insurance; and
• Lessons learned, minimising risks in future.
Tuesday, 3rd March 2020
11am – 12noon AEST including Q&A
(1 CPD point for attending the session)
The webinar will be hosted by Stephen Higginson, Head Customer & Distribution for Australia and New Zealand at Swiss Re Corporate Solutions, who will be joined by specialists and experts:
• Wayne Liddy – Director Gardner Group, VP & Director Australian Institute of Building Surveyors (AIBS)
• Nick Lux – Partner, Wotton + Kearney
• Giuseppe Carone – Senior Underwriter Financial Lines, Swiss Re Corporate Solutions ANZ